Thursday, May 23, 2013

Nursing Cover

I actually love it when people ask "Can you make that"? Because even if the answer is "I don't know" it gives me a chance to at least give something new a shot. I feel like my sewing repetoire is small, and I think it's because I often limit myself to making things in my comfort zone. So when a friend asked "Can you make a nursing cover?" although I hadn't tried, I was actually pretty confident that I could.

I perused several nursing cover tutorials (there are oodles of them)...thank goodness for pinterest, and after reading through a few, I got the basic components down. Really, they were pretty basic. I gathered my supplies and set to work with a few measurements. 

This was my first time using boning and putting on bias tape the "correct" way. I usually just do it the lazy man's way. I see now, I was really missing out. It was infinitely easier and ends up looking much crisper and professional.

P.S. Sorry for the terrible pictures...lots of rainy days and late nights :(





The baby's name embroidered on, per mom's request :)

The only thing I would change, if I make another, is that I would add some interfacing to the strap, the fact that it is merely quilting cotton with a bit of binding makes it feel floppy, and it doesn't stay as firmly adjusted in between the d-rings. I think some interfacing would easily solve this problem.

This was a super duper quick project, maybe 45 minutes of sewing (including the binding) and maybe an extra hour for the embroidery.

No comments: