Monday, September 26, 2016

A Ghastlie Daisy Cross Body




Now that summer is winding down, I'm getting reacquainted with my machine (yay!). I've been working on bags of course. Last weekend I sewed up my first Daisy Crossbody Bag by Blue Calla Patterns.



She was a delightfully quick sew and I had a lot of fun making the scallop accent on the front. I've been holding on to a bit of this fun Alexander Henry Ghastlies print for a while and this bag was perfect for showcasing those super fun characters.


This was my first attempt at making scallops and I was a bit intimidated at first, but it came together so well and I was so happy with how they turned out. I'm normally not a huge fan of fussy cutting because of all the waste involved but it was so worth it for this bag!


Although I enjoy making bags with all the bells and whistles (zippers, hardware and accents), there's something so satisfying about sewing up a bag that delivers a lot of wow without a lot of effort. These scallops really make this bag pop.

For the exterior I choice Essex linen so that the the focus would be on the accent scallop. The quilting and topstitching were done in a bright lime, because of course I had to put something bright in there!


This bag features an adjustable strap and a magnetic closure. It calls for a zippered interior pocket, but as I initially was making this for me, I opted against it. After making and carrying a variety of bags, I've found I never end up actually closing any zippers and divided slip pockets are more my preference (one for phone, another for keys and anything else I need to keep within easy reach).


I love those sassy ladies!


I also opted to replace the suggested interfacing with foam stabilizer, only because I like super structured bags. I would note that it made the gussets a bit thick, so if you don't have a beastly machine or sew a lot with foam; you'd be much happier sticking with the suggested interfacings. I really loved how this bag turned out, and I will be making more. Seeing other Daisies I think it looks fab without the scallop accent as well. You could use vinyl for the top band and strap, or event the gusset to totally change the look of this bag. I had to add in my Emmaline Bags bling, I can NOT stop making these tassels!

Pick up your copy of the Daisy Cross Body Bag here.

What has been on your sewing table lately?

No comments: