Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Speedwell Sling Bag




As summer time kicks into high gear around here, we are hitting the amusement park when we can. As much as I love my shoulder bags and big totes, they aren't the most pratical thing to carry around from ride to ride all day. My two year old snagged my beloved Butterfly Sling Purse, and I needed a new bag for those long day adventures. So when I had the opportunity to test the Blue Calla Speedwell Sling Bag, I was all over it.

This is a sporty sling style bag that is the PERFECT bag for summer adventures. 


This clever bag has a roomy interior with two slip pockets (think sunscreen, small snacks, and even a few diapers and a small pack of wipes). The exterior has a zippered panel that opens wide to make the pefect place to stash your phone, and keys. Stash your wallet and cards in the interior zip pocket.



This pattern also gives directions to add grommets to feed through your ear buds, which I opted to omit but you can see on other versions here


This pattern came together pretty quickly, despite being a lot of pieces. I went out on a limb and tried to fussy cut my zipper panels for the front and I was very pleased with the results:



The zippered front panel is secured to the top of the bag with your choice of magnetic snap, a turn lock or a tuck lock. I opted for a magnetic snap for this one and the slim ones from Emmaline are super strong and hold very very well (I almost broke a nail trying to pry them apart to install them). 


The bag is constructed with fleece, but the back panel is stabilized with Peltex so it's a structured bag even with just the fleece. It's also written for you to choose which shoulder you wish to wear the bag over. 



This bag is rated for an intermediate bag maker, and I would completely agree with that rating. No parts of construction are difficult, but the number of pieces and different techniques could make this daunting for a beginner. 

Like all Blue Calla patterns, each step is easy to follow and the instructions are paired with full color photos making even more difficult steps of construction easy to follow. The lining is finished by binding the seams, which for me is always the most difficult part because I end up doing them by hand (I'm hopeless binding by machine). 


I'm looking forward to carrying this around tomorrow when we hit the amusement park! 




1 comment: