Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Greenbacks wallet

I've had the pleasure of doing some pattern testing for Sara at SewSweetness, so when she asked for testers again, I gladly jumped on board. I'd been wanting a new wallet for myself, so this was perfect timing. Her Greenbacks wallet comes in three different styles, from beginner to advanced. Although I don't consider myself an advanced sewer, I fell in love with the advanced variation of the wallet.


After settling on the fabrics, the cutting and assembly of the panels were easy peasy. The whole process was a breeze until I got around to adding the exterior zipper and binding. Then the bleeding and cursing began.

Sara had warned that the main reason this pattern was rated as advanced was because of this last step. I had anticipated adding the binding by hand, but I underestimated how much of a pain in the arse that is (I've never adding binding by hand before). Quilters actually do this by hand stuff all the time?! Yet another reason I am not a quilter. I used lots and lots of pins and stabbed myself probably about 5 million times. I think I may have lost a pint of blood in the process. Sewing the binding through the heavy nylon of the zipper is what really got me, it HURTS.

After what felt like 7 hours, the binding was on and the wallet was complete! The binding is wonky (that's what I get for not knowing how to hand sew properly). I would rip it out and redo it but I cringe at the thought of more stab wounds so it's gonna have to wait.

The wallet is a serious wallet. I cannot believe how big it is, it's practically a clutch and I LOVE it. It's the perfect mom wallet, and has everything you could need. I love that the zippered pocket is inside, I love that it's in the middle and acts as the divider, I love that the card slots are vertical instead of horizontal, I love that there are card holders on both sides. It's perfection!

Seriously, do yourself a favor and go to Sara's shop and buy this pattern immediately!


1 comment:

Dee said...

love it - that is sooo funny and i relate to what you say about attaching the biding. and quilters do this by hand bit all the time... :) I am about to go check out the pattern - it looks like what i need.