Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tulip Totes

Getting ready for my first craft show has me sewing like crazy.  I'm trying to make up for my lack of sewing in June.  I wanted to make a couple more handbags to take with me but I wanted one that was a quick sew without looking like a quick sew.  Enter the Tulip Tote.

I think I've made 5 or six of these bags since buying the book Sew Serendipity Bags by Kay Whitt. I'm so in love with this book, and this by far is one of my favorite patterns ever. It involves one pattern piece. ONE PATTERN PIECE. Seriously, you cut your main panels, lining panels, straps and pockets. Easy peasy.

I finished one today in a few hours. One of which I spent wasted on Facebook. One I spent sewing with the assistance of a soon to be 4 year old. So that leaves me with one uninterrupted hour of sewing...so I'm going to say it's maybe a two hour project. Maybe less if you an get your fusible fleece to fuse in a more reasonable amount of time than me. I swear I spend more time fighting with interfacing than sewing.

Even though it's such a quick project, I think the grommets and bias tape add a little more interest to the bag. The simplicity of the bag makes it an easy one to modify (it would be cute to add an exterior zippered pocket).  It also uses so little fabrics, it's a great way to use up some half yard cuts in your stash. I know I've been disappointed when I have a fabric in mind for a bag and I realize I don't have enough to use it as I want to.

Now to figure out what to work on next :)


No comments: