Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Oh Spit! Diaper Bag

My sister asked me to make a bag for her best friend's baby shower this weekend...last Saturday. Nothing like a week's notice huh? I've made diaper bags in the past, specifically one designed by Kay Whitt in her Sew Serendipity Bags and it was a great pattern, BUT it was pretty labor intensive (at least the last time I made one it seemed that way, but I was still pretty new to making bags at the time).

I showed my sister some patterns I had on hand, and she picked out the Oh Spit! Diaper Bag pattern from Big City Bags by Sara Lawson. I'll have to admit that although I hadn't yet made that pattern, I was relieved she picked this one because I'm familiar with Sara's patterns and they are all so easy to follow. 

After a trip to JoAnn Fabrics (she apparently didn't like the ones in my stash), she picked out these cute monsters and I had hoped to finish it by the end of last weekend. I quickly assembled the exterior, straps and zipper panel and then set it aside for the week. I was NOT looking forward to doing the hand sewing that would be necessary to finish the binding on the bag.

I bit the bullet and attached the binding last night while binge watching Twin Peaks on Netflix...don't judge. I'm still not great at hand sewing but at least I'm getting better, thank you YouTube.

This morning I finished the changing pad to go with the bag and used my walking foot for the first time. Holy Moly what a difference!! The last time I used PUL, I seriously wanted to cry, it stretched and bunched and was just generally uncooperative. With the addition of the walking foot, getting through the PUL was a breeze. My machine easily went through the layers of PUL, headliner fabric, interfacing and fabric like a dream with NO bunching or stretching. MAGIC! 

I followed the pattern exactly as written, with the only exception of using automotive headliner fabric in place of the Thermolam that is called for. I often use this in place of other stabilizers like By Annie's Soft and Stable or Thermolam simply because it's MUCH cheaper and has a similar end result. As always, the pattern was a breeze to follow and the most challenging part was attaching the binding by hand at the end. Those of you more experienced with binding could probably totally do it by machine, I was just chicken. The top has a recessed separating zip closure, several interior slip pockets and pockets on the front and back, as well as elasticized pockets on both sides. It also has instructions for a coordinating changing pad. I think if I were to make this bag again, I would just place the exterior in the lining, leaving a hole for turning and complete the bag that way, versus leaving the top edge unfinished until the addition of the bias tape. That's just my personal preference and dislike of sewing on binding.


1 comment:

green23 said...

You did a great job.