Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pinwheel quilt




I am an incredibly indecisive person. I probably spend more time brooding over what to make and fabric choices for each project than I do making them. This quilt was no exception.



I didn't intend to make another quilt, but I really want to play with some designs to see if I could pull any of them off. The fabrics in this case were actually the easiest part. I received a few lovely fat quarters from Anna Maria Horner's Diwrt line earlier this year from Camp Stitchalot. I really liked these prints but wasn't really sure what to do with them. 

One night, I got an itch to start playing and made some half square triangles. I had never made a HST before but I decided to play around. 

I found that making the HSTs weren't hard at all and actually was quicker than I expected. I toyed with several layouts:

Please excuse the cat photobombing







Not really knowing what I was doing, I sketched out some ideas and consulted Pinterest and found this layout: 



 My husband pointed out that he thought this looked like something unpleasant, but I went with it anyways. 

And I'm glad I did. 





I used Ikea fabric for the backing and the contrasting fabric on the HSTs. I used what little scraps I had left from the Dowry to make the scrappy binding. I was hesitant to use a scrappy binding, but I really liked how it worked out.



This quilt is far from perfect, and you may spot the very large obvious mistake, but I think it's cheerful and it makes me happy :) I have a lot to learn about quilting but I did have fun making it.









3 comments:

Missy Shay said...

I could not figure out what the "unpleasant thing" was and had to ask my husband - LOL He saw it right off, I guess men just see things differently! Well, it is not that and I think it looks awesome! I love the scrappiness of it too!

Jake said...

There are no mistakes in quilting! It's called "personalizing"! I once turned an entire block wring...but the coolest part was that ultimately, it lended itself to a very unique twist and The quilt was named a VERY MUCH BETTER name because of the block. I never follow a pattern to a T anyway...what fun us that? I like your end plan!

Christine S said...

I don't see your mistake and I love this quilt!